The Truth About 4 Common Auto Insurance Myths

At Brittany Olson Insurance Agency LLC we do more than provide auto insurance. We also believe it’s important to educate our Cloquet, MN customers on auto insurance. 

Auto Insurance Myths

Myth 1: Insurance is Tied to the Driver

The truth is that most insurance policies cover the car, not the driver. This means that if another licensed driver has an accident in your vehicle, your policy will cover it. 

It also means that if you drive someone else’s vehicle that isn’t insured, your insurance will not cover it.

Myth 2: One Insurance Company Is the Same as Any Other

This is also false. Generally, insurance companies offer similar types of policies. However, the number of policies and options offered, premiums, and deductibles can vary greatly. Customer service can also vary between companies, so there’s a lot to consider when choosing an insurance provider. 

Myth 3: You Only Need Minimum Coverage

Minimum coverage will keep you legal, but it may not provide the coverage you need. If you are involved in an accident, and the costs of the accident exceed your coverage limits, you’ll be responsible for the difference. 

Myth 4: Full Coverage Includes Everything

Full coverage includes comprehensive and collision coverage. This type of coverage covers nearly everything, but there are some exceptions.

Collision coverage covers damage to your vehicle if you are at fault in an accident.

Comprehensive coverage covers damage to your vehicle when you aren’t on the road. This includes theft, vandalism, and damage due to storms.  

However, policies typically have some exclusions. Your policy may not cover other drivers. Some policies only provide coverage within the U.S. 

Reach Out To Us

If you need auto insurance in the greater Cloquet, MN community, contact us at Brittany Olson Insurance Agency LLC. Our friendly agents will discuss your options and help you choose the best policy for your needs. 

Three key considerations when you buy auto insurance

Consumers should do their research before they buy auto insurance in Cloquet, MN. It’s always important to take certain key considerations into account when you choose a policy. Brittany Olson Insurance Agency LLC can provide auto insurance coverage that meets your unique needs. 

The following are three key considerations to take into account when you buy auto insurance:

How you use your vehicle

Insurance providers will want to know how much you use your vehicle and what you use your vehicle for when you purchase a policy. 

If you use your vehicle for commercial purposes, it’s important to buy a commercial auto insurance policy. How many miles you put on your vehicle per year can impact your auto insurance premiums. 

Drivers you need to have covered on your policy

You need to let your insurance provider know about all the motorists you need to have covered under your policy.

If your child has a license and sometimes drives your vehicle, it’s important to let your insurance provider know. This way, your insurance policy can cover any accidents that occur when your child is driving. 

Whether your vehicle was financed

Your auto insurance requirements are impacted by whether you had your vehicle purchase financed or not.

If you borrowed money to buy your vehicle, you’ll need to purchase collision coverage and comprehensive coverage as well. that’s because your auto loan provider will want to protect the value of your vehicle with insurance coverage. 

We Are Here To Help!

If you need to get a quote on an auto insurance policy, we’re here to come to your assistance. Contact us at Brittany Olson Insurance Agency LLC for a quote on an insurance policy in Cloquet, MN. 

Is basic auto insurance ever the right choice?

Basic auto insurance is what the state mandates when it comes to coverage. At Brittany Olson Insurance Agency LLC in Cloquet, MN, we have years of experience. Our team will help to make sure that you have the right amount of auto insurance for your particular situation.

Is basic auto insurance ever the right choice?

Minnesota is a no-fault auto insurance state. The difference with no fault is that if you have an accident, the cost of injuries is borne by the person injured not the person responsible.  PIP (personal injury protection) is required of all drivers. Your insurance pays for your injuries. The minimum that you need to have is $40,000 for one person injured. $20, 000 of that is for hospital or medical costs and $20,000 for non-medical, which can cover lost wages, etc. 

In addition to the PIP, basic insurance includes liability coverage of $30,000 for injuries to one person and $60,000 for two or more people injured. $10,000 in property damage must be included. You also need to cover uninsured drivers or under-insured drivers in the amount of $25,000 for one person and $50,000 for more than one person. 

If you have limited assets, this amount may be adequate for your particular situation. However, if you have assets, basic auto insurance may not be enough auto insurance to protect you. If you lease a vehicle or have an auto loan, this coverage will not be enough. You will need to have collision and comprehensive coverage to protect the vehicle. 

If you don’t have a loan or lease, but you count on your vehicle to get to work or to just do the business of everyday life, then you will not be safe enough with just basic auto insurance coverage. 

Get The Right Coverage Today

Contact Brittany Olson Insurance Agency LLC in Cloquet, MN for all your insurance needs.  

Should I Buy Collision Or Comprehensive Coverage?

When it comes to car insurance, there are a lot of options to choose from. One of the most important decisions you’ll make is whether to buy collision or comprehensive coverage. Both types of coverage are important, but they offer different benefits.

Here are the differences between collision and comprehensive coverage and help you decide which one is right for you:

What Is Collision Insurance?

Collision insurance is one of the most common types of car insurance. It covers damage to your car from collisions with other objects, such as other vehicles, trees, or guardrails. If you’re at fault for an accident, your collision coverage will pay for the repairs to your car. If you’re not at fault, your collision coverage will pay for the repairs to your car, minus your deductible.

What Is Comprehensive Insurance?

Comprehensive insurance is another common type of car insurance. It covers damage to your car from events that are not collisions, such as theft, vandalism, or weather damage. If you have comprehensive coverage and your car is stolen or damaged by a hurricane, your insurance will pay for the repairs. Like collision coverage, if you’re not at fault for an accident, your comprehensive coverage will pay for the repairs to your car, minus your deductible.

Should I Buy Collision or Comprehensive Coverage?

The answer to this question depends on a few factors. First, consider the value of your car. If your car is worth less, buying collision or comprehensive coverage may not make sense. The cost of the coverage will likely be more than the value of your car. Second, consider your driving habits. If you live in an area with a lot of traffic, or you’re a frequent driver in Cloquet, MN, you may want to consider collision coverage.

If you have an older car or you don’t drive often, comprehensive coverage may be a better option for you. Comprehensive coverage at Brittany Olson Insurance Agency LLC will protect your car from damage that isn’t caused by collisions.

Contact Us Today

So, what’s the verdict? Should you buy collision or comprehensive coverage? The answer is: it depends. Talk to us at Brittany Olson Insurance Agency LLC in Cloquet, MN to get expert advice on which coverage is right for you. We’ll help you make the best decision for your needs and budget.

Documents you should always have in your vehicle

At Brittany Olson Insurance Agency LLC in Cloquet, MN, we are a team of dedicated insurance professionals who work hard to provide our customers with the personal service they deserve.  As independent insurance agents, we can offer more options and find you the most affordable products.  

Documents you should always have in your vehicle

Every state has regulations and requirements in order to get your vehicle on the road and you behind the wheel. You need to be aware of those regulations but you need to follow them every time you drive your vehicle. 

Vehicle registration

If you have moved to Minnesota or are a current resident, you must register your motor vehicle. For new residents, you must prove who you are and prove ownership of the vehicle. You can do that by producing the title of the vehicle. If you don’t have the title because you still have a loan, you need to show your current registration. The Minnesota vehicle registration must be renewed every year. 

Your driver’s license

Your driver’s license should be on your person pretty much everywhere you go. Not only is it a picture ID but it shows that you have completed the necessary testing to have earned the right to drive. If a police officer requests to see your driver’s license, make sure that you have it where it is easy to access.

Insurance card

When you get your new auto insurance or you renew your old insurance, you will get a page with your policy that has a copy or two of your insurance card. If possible, place it in a plastic sleeve and put it in your glove box immediately. Place it in close proximity to your vehicle registration. 

Contact Brittany Olson Insurance Agency LLC in Cloquet, MN for the latest information about auto insurance and the state mandates that go along with it.