Can I get non-owner insurance in Minnesota, and how does it work?

Auto insurance aims to protect us from the financial losses associated with an auto accident and injury. So, having adequate coverage is of the utmost importance.  Our agents at Brittany Olson Insurance Agency LLC in Cloquet, MN have the experience and industry knowledge to help you find the best coverage to fit your unique situation.   

In Minnesota, the state requires drivers to have a minimum of the following coverages:

  • Liability (Bodily Injury) – $30,000 per person or $60,000 per accident to cover the driver and/or passengers in the other vehicle if you are found liable for the accident.
  • Liability (Property Damage) – $10,000 per accident to cover repairs to the other driver’s vehicle if you’re responsible for the accident.
  • Uninsured Motorist – $25,000 per person or $50,000 per accident to cover medical expenses for you and passengers involved in a hit-and-run accident, or the other driver has no insurance.
  • Underinsured Motorist – $25,000 per person or $50,000 per accident.  This is to cover medical costs for you and any passengers if the liable party causing the accident has inadequate medical coverage to pay for your medical expenses associated with the wreck.  
  • (PIP) Personal Injury Protection – $40,000.  Regardless of who’s at fault for an accident, PIP coverage covers medical expenses and lost wages for you and your passengers injured in an accident. 

How Does a Non-Owner Policy Work?

What if you don’t own a vehicle? In Minnesota, you can still find liability coverage to protect you financially when borrowing a car or driving a rental. It’s called a non-owner policy.  Suppose you don’t personally own a vehicle. In that case, this policy can still give you liability coverage for bodily injuries and property damage. Unfortunately, it doesn’t offer any coverage for your personal injuries or damage to the car you’re driving.

We Are Here To Help

A non-owner policy shows excellent responsibility and character when borrowing someone else’s automobile.  For more information, contact us at the Brittany Olson Insurance Agency LLC in Cloquet, MN, for more about a non-owner policy and other great options.